07 October 2016

Zinedine Zidane knows he will be fired by Real Madrid one day

  Zinedine Zidane has been brilliant as Real Madrid boss. He took over midway through last season, turned the club around and led them to the Champions League title. But a four-match winless streak has people asking what's wrong with the Merengues and, because it's Real Madrid, where managers are rotated through, how much longer Zidane will be in charge.

Zidane, to his credit, has no illusions of being at Real Madrid forever. Despite being one of their best ever players and just months removed from winning the Champions League, he knows that one day he will be fired.


"I'm not afraid of being fired," Zidane told RMC. "Anyway, it will happen."

That's probably the right approach considering Jose Mourinho's three years as Merengues boss is the longest reign of Real Madrid's last 12 managers. Not since Miguel Munoz spent 14 years in charge of the Spanish giants, winning 14 trophies, has a Real Madrid manager lasted four seasons. And Munoz stepped down in 1974.


In the meantime, Zidane is loving life as Real Madrid manager.

"I thoroughly enjoy what I do. I have an incredible opportunity, I am happy with what I do. I enjoy my job, which is not always easy.

"But I want to learn and advance. Working with these great players I learn every day. I am dedicated to what I do on the field. What is interesting to me is the week [of training], more than the matches. I have an exceptional group, whether we win or we lose they are good people."

Zidane isn't going to be fired in the next few weeks, so he can continue enjoying his Real Madrid training sessions. He'll have the chance to get Casemiro and Luka Modric back, among others. The Merengues will probably right the ship and get back into trophy contention then. But a single trophy-less season or even just a disappointing end to a campaign will probably doom Zidane and he knows it as well as anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment